Burdorf Interiors originated from Burdorf's-Brecher, which started in 1867 manufacturing gas lighting, fireplace mantles, tile, fire brick and fireplace accessories. It was located at 423 Jefferson St in Louisville, Kentucky.
In 1918, Brecher split from Burdorf's-Brecher to form Brecher Lighting Co., which still operates in Louisville today. Burdorf’s Furnishings Co. was created from the split to be run by Fred Burdorf, Sr. Burdorf Interiors was originally located at 6th and Main Streets. It moved to several well known locations throughout Louisville including: the third floor of the Seelbach Hotel; on 4th Street; on Broadway; and 2nd on Street south of Broadway. The name of the company is still on the 2nd Street building named for Fred Burdorf Sr.